Fernando Rosa was born in Maputo in 1957. He entered the Industrial School in 1973-and studied visual arts for three years. He moved to the Cultural Studies Centre in 1977 and, after training as a Cultural Preservation Officer, was posted to Manica Province. On return to Maputo he joined the Archaeology and Anthropology Department at Eduardo Mondlane University for a year, then resumed work in Cultural Preservation, an employment that afforded him travel as inspiration for his finest works. His fields are drawing, batik and painting in oils. He has shown in collective and individual exhibitions in Mozambique, and his work was included in ‘Art/Images in Southern Africa’ at the Kulturhuset, Stockholm, in 1989.