Joseph Ndandarika was born near Harare in 1940, but grew up in the Eastern Districts, an area which has strong connections with Zimbabwe’s stone sculpture. His grandfather was a well-known n’anga (witchdoctor) and as a youth he was apprenticed to a witchdoctor. But his parents sent him to Serima Mission where he received his first tutoring in the art of sculpting wood. In 1962 Ndandarika joined the Workshop School of the National Gallery in Harare and began to work in stone. He has been honoured by the issue of a set of commemorative stamps depicting his work, and has participated in many group exhibitions and one one-man show in Zimbabwe and won numerous local awards.